AutoPIA (Automatic Phantom Image Analysis) is a software for automatic analysis of test images of objects (phantoms) used to evaluate image quality. AutoPIA is able to quickly provide reproducible and objective quality indices for routine quality control processes aimed at optimizing the performance of an X-ray system.
Before the advent of digital era in diagnostic imaging, routine quality controls were carried out by human observers that evaluated image quality by counting visible details and measuring optical density. The process was inevitably slow, affected by subjective criteria and variable over time, resulting in unreliable assessments with high costs.
With digital images, the process of analysis and evaluation can be automated, carrying along certain advantages:
- economy: the computer is much faster and costs less than any human;
- efficiency: an analysis performed by the computer is more sensitive and accurate;
- objectivity: the analysis is not influenced by human choices; AutoPIA is completely independent;
- reproducibility: the same image will be evaluated in the same way, regardless the competence or experience of the person performing the analysis.
AutoPIA methods and algorithms are based on advanced knowledge of medical physics and computer science, and this provides:
- incontestable results: the quality indices used by AutoPIA have a solid scientific basis and were validated using appropriate methods;
- transparency: AutoPIA declares the algorithms used to calculate the quality indices and lets check for every image and every detail, what are the areas used by the algorithms;
- ease: AutoPIA is very easy to use because it is completely automatic and conforms to the most common interfaces used for computer programs;
- compatibility: AutoPIA calculates the indices used by the manual analysis of images, allowing easy integration with the processes of quality control currently implemented;
- reporting: for each quality index, AutoPIA generates a control chart that highlights the trends, with the possibility of establishing benchmarks that generate alarms if exceeded.
A web page is too short to describe all the featurs of AutoPIA. If you need more information or willing to try it in your environment with your images you can visit the dedicated website.